On How I Plot a WIP

Photo credit: fadetowhite on Flickr
So I received a question on tumblr recently from a lovely follower, who asked what my outlining/organizing process is like. My first instinct, of course, was to run to the blog and pull up some posts, but I realized that somehow, I haven’t written about it? At least, not directly. 

That changes right now. 

Generally, when I first get a book idea I really like, I’ll let it sit in my head for a little while. Once it’s stewed for a bit, and I’ve decided I still like the idea (usually determined by how much I end up thinking about it during said stewing period), I’ll pull up an Evernote note and start jotting down ideas. How detailed or vague this is depends on the book and what’s in my brain. I don’t really censor in this stage. 

Once I have enough ideas to get a general sense of what I want the book to be about, I’ll put together a logline/one-sentence pitch or a book comp. This helps keep me focused while I’m outlining and writing the first draft, and it doesn’t usually take very long (for more info, check out my how to plot without plotting post). By the end of this process, I usually have a good idea of who the protagonist is, who the love interest is (or are), and who the antagonist is. 

Next step is actually putting together an outline.

As I’ve mentioned before, I use Scrivener to put together my outlines, using the cork board feature. Initially, my first few flashcards are usually near the beginning of the book, starting with the the inciting incidentAnd from there…it’s pretty scattered. I jump around from beginning to end, adding things in between, filling in whatever gaps I think of, changing plot points when I think of something better, etc. I ask myself “What if?” questions frequently, try to make the stakes as personal and big as I can, and when I think I’ve put my characters through a lot, I put them through more. I make the lows lower and the highs higher, I add conflict everywhere I can, and if I see opportunities for some twists, I take them. This process continues until I've got a fully fleshed-out plot from beginning to end.

Generally, I don’t go into huge detail with the plot points I figure out. Each flashcard usually will have somewhere between a sentence to a paragraph describing what will generally happen in the scene, and that’s it. How many flashcards I have at the end depends on the book, but I’ll usually end up somewhere between 30-50, and from there I can guesstimate how long I expect the book to be and get ready to start drafting. 

And that’s it! 

If you’re a plotter, what does your outlining process look like? 

Twitter-sized bite: 
Struggling to find a plotting process that works for you? Writer @Ava_Jae shares her method for loose outlining. (Click to tweet)  
Brainstorming, book comps & Scrivener are all a part of @Ava_Jae's plotting process. What's involved in yours? (Click to tweet)

16 comments:

McKenna Elise Odom said...

Thank you for sharing your process! I have learned that I seriously struggle writing a story without a detailed outline. I have never tried flash cards before. Perhaps it will be just what I need to spread out and organize my thoughts. I imagine it helps the writer to see the big picture. Also, as someone who prefers paper, I am sensing a LOT of notebook paper, index cards, and colored pens in my future.

SUPER helpful post. Thank you :)

Ana @ Butterflies of the Imagi said...

I love to plot my books, but I've only written 1.5 books so far, so I'm still experimenting to find the right plot process for me. Right now, I wait at least a month before writing a novel idea to make sure that my idea doesn't fizzle out before I can write it. Then, I start writing character profiles and storyworld profiles. After the set up is done, I work on writing down all the scenes. Previously I just wrote down all the scenes in a notebook, but this time I want to write them down on notecards just because I think it will be more fun. I have no idea why, but it just seems fun. :)

Alana (Siegel) Mag said...

I appreciate a formulaic method. I liken it to being a baker versus a cook. I am much better at following an exact recipe for lemon poppy muffins rather than a pan with some fancy sauce and adding a pinch of this salt and a handful of basil.

Gwen Tolios said...

Still getting my own process down, I do it differently for different projects, but I'm totally more of a discovery writer. I do very minimal plotting.

Briana Morgan said...

I love the index card outline method so much. It's a great way to plot without overthinking. I used to be a pantser, and now index cards are the only way I can outline without losing my mind. I like that your process is organic, yet organized. That's what I strive for, too.

The Novelista

Ava Jae said...

You're so welcome, McKenna! I think it definitely helps with the bigger picture view, and it also makes it very easy to rearrange scenes if necessary, or shift them around while adding scenes in and taking scenes out. It's a flexible method that's great for those early brainstorming and plotting sessions. :)

Ava Jae said...

I can't really explain it either, but notecards are more fun. They're also a little less concrete, IMO, because as I told McKenna, they're super easy to move around, remove, add in, etc. No erasing or squeezing ideas between the lines necessary. :)

Ava Jae said...

I can totally understand that.

Ava Jae said...

I've definitely changed my process around MS to MS. Really the only way to figure out what works best for you is to experiment!

Ava Jae said...

I agree! The flashcard method is by far my favorite. Even though I've tweaked the logistics (physical flashcards vs. Scrivener flashcards, etc.), it's the one I've stuck to most closely. :)

Julia E. said...

I used to be a meticulous plotter. Every chapter. Every scene. Entirely mapped out before I started. With my last WIP, I had a few vague scene ideas, an overall arch, and ideas for the five or so central main characters ... after that, I just kind of whacked out a rough draft. And so far, the responses from my CPs have all indicated this manuscript is much better! So, as I start my newest WIP, will probably use this approach!

Heather said...

This is like, very impressive to me. The problem is that I really, really like plotting, and as soon as I have something plotted out I completely lose interest in the thing and then that doesn't work at all for getting stuff done. Usually I keep notes of stuff I want to do at the bottom of the word document I'm working in (or another one, if I want to have them both up at the same time) and just go from there. It's not the most effective approach, and leaves a lot of room for mistakes I have to go back and fix later, but until I figure out a way to not feel like I'm completely over an idea as soon as it's been plotted out, I just use an expansion method on each successive draft. Whatever works. :P

Rebecca Kelsey said...

I'm still trying to figure out my writing style. I had a vague idea of what I wanted for the book I'm working on now (my first full length attempt!) but after I got the first draft done I realized some huge plot holes and now I'm wishing I planned more, ah! It's a definite WIP.


Kindness is the best accessory,
Rebecca - RebeccaKelsey.com

Ava Jae said...

Interesting! I definitely shifted around with different processes with a bunch of my MSs until I semi-settled on what I do now. Even this could change, but it's been consistent with the last few WIPs so...so far it looks like it'll stick. But then again, every MS is different. :)

Ava Jae said...

Like you said—whatever works! I've lost interest in a couple projects after plotting them, so I understand that. Usually I take it as a sign that it wasn't strong enough for me to write. :)

Ava Jae said...

It took me several manuscripts to really get into a routine that worked for me, so that's totally understandable. I encourage you to keep experimenting with different techniques to figure out what works best for you! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...