Discussion: Reading Outside Your Comfort Zone

Photo credit: TheGiantVermin on Flickr
I read YA a lot—like, way more than I ever did when I was a teen. And given that I'm a YA author, it's literally in my job description, so it makes sense and it's something I need to do so I can keep challenging myself and staying away of what's out there in the market.

But while genre-wise I read pretty widely within YA, sometimes I need to remind myself to push outside of my comfort zone and pick up some books in other categories, because another part of being a writer is taking in new voices and listening listening listening.

So this year I've been picking up a couple books here and there outside of YA, from MG (like The Last Great Adventure of the PB&J Society), to NA (like Strong Signal, and Out of Frame), to Adult (like A Darker Shade of Magic and A Gathering of Shadows), to graphic novels (like the first hardcover volume of Saga).

It's been fun to read totally new things and expose myself to new voices, and it's something I'd like to keep doing. I've got some Middle Grade like The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary, Paper Wishesd, The Last Boy at St. Edith's, Bounders, and Marco Impossible on my TBR, but I'd especially love some graphic novel recs (where do you even go to after Saga), and good book recs in general. Because why not?

So what are you guys reading? Anything outside your usual reading habits? And what should I add to my TBR?

Twitter-sized bite: 
Want to try reading outside your comfort zone? Check out the discussion on @Ava_Jae's blog. (Click to tweet)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...